We're sharing some helpful tips for members to consider in reducing the risk or impact as a result of breaches of your personal information:
- Place a security freeze on your credit reports. Contact each of the credit bureaus individually and request a security freeze. A freeze will block an institution or lender from accessing a report unless the pre-set PIN is provided to thaw the report. Each of the bureaus will give or allow you to create a PIN. Be sure you do not lose or forget this PIN and store it in a safe place with other important documents.
- Place a fraud alert on Credit Reports. Fraud alerts require potential creditors to contact the consumer and obtain permission to open new account or lines of credit. This can be requested every 90 days. In the event there is a specific incident, with documentation, the fraud alert may be allowed to be extended up to seven years.
- Equifax: Call 800-525-6285 or https://www.alerts.equifax.com/AutoFraud_Online/js...
- Experian: Call 888-397-3742 or https://www.experian.com/fraud/center.html
- Innovis: Call 800-540-2505 or https://www.innovis.com/personal/fraudActiveDutyAl...
- Transunion: Call 800-680-7289 or https://www.transunion.com/fraud-victim-resource/p...
- Check your credit reports annually. Consumers are entitiled by law to a free credit report from each of the three major credit bureaus once per year. The credit union recommends to rotate between the three by pulling one bureau report every 4 months.
- Visit www.annualcreditreport.com or call 877-322-8228
- Add a security phrase on your Credit Union account. Let us know a word or phrase you would like us to verify when requesting changes or transactions by phone to prevent unauthorized access to your accounts and information.
- Continually monitor your monthly financial account, credit card and other loan statements and immediately address any concerns regarding unknown or suspicious transactions.
If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to the credit union and we will be glad to help in any way we can!